Pages

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Trust and Obey

I posted this once and took it off, but, one of you is so quick, you'd already seen it. This person was so sweet and encouraged me to repost it because this is something we all deal with, so here it is.

Does reading these words make you hear that old hymn?

When I was going through the divorce, this is what I felt God calling me to do ...trust and obey Him. Honestly, it wasn't difficult to do. If I'm being totally honest, some days it feels like it was easier to do then, than now. Why? I mean that time was the absolute most difficult time in my entire life. I had never felt so alone or hopeless. After some reflecting, here's what I've come up with. Trusting, especially, was easier then because I was at the bottom. I had no clue what to do. I had nothing to lose.

I feel God calling me to those commandments again, but these days trusting seems harder. I guess it's because I'm afraid that if I totally surrender my hopes, dreams, and my deepest heart's desire, I won't get what I want. Sounds pretty spoiled and selfish, I know. What if these things don't line up with what God has for me? Don't get me wrong. I don't want anything that goes against His plans. That's where trust comes in, isn't it? Trusting that He loves me more than anyone else could. Trusting that He sees the longings of my heart, and as my heavenly Father wants nothing more than to see me happy. And, finally, trusting that He knows what's best for me.

There may be days when trusting Him seems difficult, but I'm choosing to believe that God is faithful and that he holds me in His hands. My pastor put it so eloquently this morning. If we have God's promises and his presence, we have everything we need!

Life is more than just getting out of it what I want. We've been called to "go and make disciples among the nations". I'm so thankful that God forgives me for the times when my focus is turned inward on myself instead of outward on others.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

You are on such a journey... God has a plan. In the end, whatever it is will be so much better than you could imagine. Love always...

Fran said...

Great post - something we all can identify with - I am sure. Hang in there girl - God seems to be stretching you big time..