Pages

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

For Father's Day 2009 we set out to plan something different. We wanted to spend the day together having fun and making memories in an inexpensive way. We tossed around several different ideas, but finally decided on a baseball game, picnic, and swimming. I think we accomplished our goal! We had a blast and made some memories we're sure to talk about years from now.
We all loaded up and headed to Fassnight Park in Springfield. We started the day with a competitive baseball game.

Team 1 (They were all business, let me tell you!)
Team 2 The first inning it was neck and neck. However, in the second inning, Team 1 began to pull away with the help of 2 home runs. One hit by Tina and the other hit by Garrett. Not to mention the fact that Team 2 lost a key player, Abby. Her outs never counted and was, therefore, an automatic run. Unfortunately, she found better things to do. (i.e. playing in the water fountain.)

It was a hot one, Folks! We were extremely grateful for the breeze that God sent our way. In the end, Team 1 ending up taking away the win!After the game we made our way back to the shade for a picnic. Grammy brought some delicious homemade fried chicken, and I brought some homemade chicken salad. (Thank you, Leslie, for the recipe.) It all hit the spot!

When lunch was done, we made our way over to the pool. Even Poppy Gene went swimming with us! He even went down the slide!! Chase was all about dunking people. I think he got me under 8 times. He is one strong young man!!Needless to say, after swimming, we were all pretty wiped out. We headed our separate ways to clean up. (I even managed to squeeze a nap in.) Then, we met up at Tina's for homemade ice cream and brownies, along with a rousing game of bowling, Wii style.
Poppy Gene did a pretty good job!

We're so glad that Auntie Ann and Hannah drove down to join us! We just don't get to see them near enough anymore!!


It was a wonderful, memorable Father's Day! I, for one, sure hope this becomes a tradition.

Dad, happy Father's Day! Is it hard to believe that you went from a family of 5 to, now, a family of 12? We're all so thankful for you and for everything you've taught us and for everything you've stood for. You've taught us girls what it means to have a good work ethic and how to live within our means. You've taught us how to make good decisions, carefully weighing both sides. You've taught us how to be assertive and responsible. You taught us all of this and more through not only your words, but your actions, too. Most importantly, when we were growing up, you had us in church every time the doors were open. You put Christ at the head of our family. Dad, I'm so thankful for all of these things! I still have so much to learn from you. I love you!!
Papa, you are the one who started it all! Dad has passed on to us all that you've taught him. I love hearing your jokes and stories and hearing you say, "I love you, Babe." Papa, I don't believe I've ever met a more fair, honest, tender-hearted man than you. I love you!!

2 comments:

Kelly Carter said...

I loved hearing about your fun Father's Day! I bet your dad and grandpa felt blessed to see all of their family together, having a great time.

Leslie said...

What a fun, HOT day! I'm tired just reading about it, but I know you all had fun together. Thanks for sharing it with us!