Pages

Thursday, July 30, 2009

It's about that time. Are you kidding me?

We are in the final days of July. Have 2 months already passed by? How can that be? In about a week and a half I will be back in the classroom. There are some aspects about this that I'm excited about: reorganizing/setting up my room, seeing Kelly and Leslie on a daily basis, teaching, .working with our new principal.......................... yep, that's about it.

Part of me is very fearful about what the year holds with my students. Last year's start to the year was the most difficult one I've ever had. Some things were going on that definitely shouldn't have. Even knowing that I probably won't have to endure circumstances quite like that ever again, I still feel unsure about starting school. However, I really believe that my 20 or so students were placed not by chance, but by providence. For me, teaching is a ministry and an opportunity to share God's love, and He promises He'll never put more on us than we can handle.

I have no doubt that last year sharpened my classroom management skills. I got to meet my new students on the last day of school, and they seemed like a great group. I need to remind myself that I love kids, and that this year I'll probably actually get to teach, which will make it even better. It's going to be OK. It's not going to be like last year. It's going to be so much better!

Sorry for the rambling. Apparently, I needed a "self-talk" attitude adjustment. :)

4 comments:

Christa said...

I am excited about teaching too! But I have to wait another year and a half! Decorating a classroom sounds like so much fun!

Fran said...

Tammy, I have talked to so many of your past and future students and their faces light up when they talk about you. It is easy to see that teaching truly is a ministry for you. I hope this is the best year ever for you.

Jen said...

Girl, you are an amazing teacher. You have "the gift" for sure. I will be praying for you as you begin the school year!

P.S. I agree with Fran - I've always heard such great things about you from parents and students!!!

Leslie said...

I"m right there with you girl! I know things are going to be much better for us this year. (Even if we're going to have to get up early! HA!)