Pages

Monday, July 5, 2010

I Love America 2010

We have been praying for today for the past several weeks.  Praying for souls, that God would prepare people's heart for the Gospel.  Praying for the weather, more specifically for 82 degrees with a slight wind and no rain.  We called, God answered.  He answered in a BIG way.  First of all, the high for today was 85 degrees.  It rained in Ozark, but was dry at the site.  There was a breeze that kept things cool, enough so that blankets were needed during the fireworks!  Most importantly, hundreds (that's right, HUNDREDS) came forward!  Pastor John sent out a tweet that said, "I have never seen anything like it at ILA.  Hundreds have come forward to receive Christ as Savior!  Heaven rejoices!"  What an incredible sight to behold!!

We arrived around 1:30 and picked out a spot and set up "camp".  The boys had to play a little football.
The weather was so beautiful!  Abby felt it was a little on the cool side.
When we were finished, we took the kids around to check things out.  We started over in the military area.  Check out those tires!
We knew this was something Abby and Garrett couldn't hurt, an armored truck!

Black Hawk - I'd be scared if I saw this group coming!
10 push-ups = free football or t-shirt.  They did it, too!
At 4:00 Mom and Dad and I headed over to the funnel cakes.  This is where we spent the next three hours volunteering.  It was CRAZY!  Keep in mind it was the ONLY place that sold funnel cakes.  There was always a line!!  You could hardly ever get ahead.  Mom and Dad put powered sugar on the cakes and handed them out.  My job?  Well, I was at the fryer.  While I turned a few, my main job was to get them on the plate and out to Mom or Dad.  The floor was slick as snot and there was 6 other people surrounding me, dripping hot grease on my hands and sometimes legs.  At the end of the three hours, I could barely open my hand to let go of the tongs.  It was hard work!  I so wish I had gotten a picture of my dad.  He had powdered sugar ALL OVER HIM!  His jean shorts were white!  White I tell ya.  He had it in his watch, his eyebrows, ears...you name it, sugar covered it!  I came home and showered immediately, but I still smell like grease!!  It was hard work, but I had a great time serving with others!

When I got back to our spot, I ran into Aimee!!  We met when we were taking our Masters classes.  She teaches first grade at Century.  I don't get to see or talk to her much, but I love this girl!  She's absolutely amazing!!  She's not only a fabulous teacher, she's also a Godly woman.  It's always such a treat to see her!

Dinner time!

The message was life changing!  It was such a blessing to watch God move in such a mighty way!  There were so many people coming forward, they had to ask for more volunteers to come and pray.  HE exceeded even great expectations!

Fireworks!
I have to be honest and tell you that while I was excited about seeing what God would do at I Love America, I didn't exactly look forward to going.  I've been somewhat of a Negative Nelly lately and just didn't feel like bumping shoulders with over 100,000 people.  I really spent some time praying about my attitude this morning.  When I got there, I felt differently as soon as I stepped foot on the site.  Knowing how we had prayed, I had no doubt it was God's presence.  The entire day was so much fun!  Even with thousands and thousands of people, you didn't feel squished together.  Everything and everyone was so spread out.  I truly enjoyed every single part of the day!!  Thank you, Lord, for answering prayer and for meeting us at the Springfield Underground!

2 comments:

Alysia said...

Mmmm...mmmm...mmmm...funnel cakes! Though you probably don't want to see another one for at least a year =) Sounds like you had lots of fun and enjoyed your day. Great fireworks pics too!!

Tonya said...

It was so much fun!! I was wondering in the back of my mind if I would miss our own traditions that we did. But I have to say, this has been the best 4th of July. God is so amazing and your couldn't be there yesterday and not be mindful of that.