Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

A Long Awaited 3-Day Weekend!

And it did not disappoint!!!

I kicked off this much needed and long anticipated weekend by sleeping in until 9:00 on Friday morning!!  I woke up feeling so rested and ready to squeeze in as much family fun and relaxing as humanly possible.

Friday, Mom and I went shopping.  Nothing serious.  Just errands we needed to accomplish before our trip next week.  When we got home I cleaned the bathrooms and back bedrooms.  (Amazing what you feel like doing when you haven't worked all day!)  That evening I went to Garrett's basketball game.  Then he came over later that night for a sleepover.  We watched the Karate Kid.  He's such an amazing kid!  Always looking out for others.  Always making sure others are getting to do what they want before ever expressing what he wants to do.  Always so loving!  He's growing up way too fast!!!!
Saturday (after taking Garrett home) I went horseback riding.  It was a little warm to be the perfect fall day, but the trees were beautiful and we practically had the place to our self!
After riding, Mom gave two of the horses a bath, Dad got some hay, and I helped get the trailer ready for the trip.  I went home and cleaned up and spent the evening cleaning the rest of the house and watching the Missouri football game.  It was a good one!!

Today, I listened to a moving message at church, as usual.  Then, I had Mom and Dad over for lunch.  We had soup, salad, and sandwiches.  It was pretty good, if I do say so myself.  Check the bottom of this post for the recipe for my baked potato soup.  :) (Just for you, Jen!)  I spent the rest of the day catching up on blog reading, caught a little snooze, and watched Chase play a couple of basketball games.

It was a wonderful weekend!!
Baked Potato Soup
(I usually double this.)
3 large potatoes     
salt & pepper to taste
1/3 c. butter  
2 T green onions, chopped (I leave this out.)
2 T onions, chopped (I use dried onion flakes.) 
2 T bacon (I use Oscar Meyer bacon bits.)
1/4 c. flour
1/2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
3 1/2 c. milk      
8 oz. sour cream

Bake potatoes at 400 F for 1 hour or until done.  (I peel the potatoes first, and bake them the night before to save time.)  Peel and scoop out the pulp; coarsely chop and set aside.  Melt butter in sauce pan and saute onions until tender.  Stir in flour until smooth and cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.  Gradually add milk, stir over medium heat until think and bubbly.  Add potatoes, salt and pepper, green onions, bacon and cheese.  Cook thoroughly.  Add additional milk if needed.  Stir in sour cream.  Garnish with extra bacon, cheese and green onions.

 
fall2010sig

1 comment:

Jen said...

So glad you had a wonderful weekend!!!